Peace Corps mini-update
This is just a mini-up date about my Peace Corps status. I spoke to my recruiter last weekend and I should be getting my country invite within the next month or so. He is pretty confident that it will be the Middle East (he assured me again) as no one is scrambling to go there at the moment. Most of the newbies (new recruits like me) I met this weekend are leaving in March, June and July. So we should all be getting our letters soon. Its just more waiting. I am pretty tired of waiting and the application process to get into this organization is insane. Its a cross between college and the military topped with a psychiatric evaluation and criminal background check and credit check too. Add almost a year of waiting and you get very grumpy nominees. I am a bit grumpy but I have gone so far and got everything cleared to make any changes in my life at this time.
So more waiting and then off we go I suppose. As my tentative July departure date draws near I can say that I am getting more and more apprehensive in many different ways. Excited too of course and scared and nervous and bored at times as well. The other nominees that I spoke to this weekend are all feeling the same so it was nice to speak to them and hear what they had to say. Interesting thing to note as well most of the soon to be voulunteers were women. I would say of us there the average was 70% to 80% women and 20% to 10% men that are going into the Peace Corps.
M

<< Home