To be a Nomad...

My journal of travel first back to home in New Mexico and then across the seas in the Peace Corps.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

San Francisco beloved...

These old feelings are surfacing again, my longing for that city who was my closest lover. When I left it I felt I had betrayed myself, but who is to say what lessons one has to learn? I dreamed of its streets for years afterward. I yearned for it so much I would get metallic tastes in my mouth and lose track of time. My fanstasies of returning would consume many a day dreaming. And every lover I took since my exodus hated my city as if it challenged them directly. I learned to keep quiet and tried to forget.

Things have been quiet for a long time. The longing had faded to a sweet memory. But today that longing returned with a full fury. It happened when I read a post about trance dancing. I was flung back to the dirty streets and the creative spaces and the uniqueness I had left behind.

There in that cold, sophisticated, foggy city lays my place. My special place. A place where every ecentric niche of my soul has a kindred. A place of tribal dancers, witches, urban shamans, artists, free thinkers, sexual mystics, eco-activists, and academics. A place of diversity and the unexpected. A place of revolution and challenge. A place that always kept me on my toes and filled me with wonder.

San Francisco, beloved, I miss you still.

M