To be a Nomad...

My journal of travel first back to home in New Mexico and then across the seas in the Peace Corps.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Bellydance for Tsunami Relief

I just got home from a belly dance benefit for Tsunami survivors. It was in the next town over and only 15 bucks so I decided to go at the spur of the moment. I just went by myself which was fine as I am still getting over a cold and am not the most pleasent company at the moment. Actually the more I think about it I really like doing things by myself. I have total control over what I want to do, I leave when I am ready, I stay as long as I like and have the freedom to be social or not. Since I am a belly dancer I can think of no better way to spend my Saturday night than watching a showcase of bellydancers and listening to live Middle Eastern music. This is one of those moments when single life is pretty nice. I have never had a partner who was totally supportive or enjoyed bellydancing. Since it is my passion and something I have put a lot of time into future partners will have to like it too damn it!

Anyway, there was a wide spectrum of dancers of varing styles and talent. From young beginners in troups to internationally famous superstar types(i.e. Dondi Dahlin). The best part of the whole thing though was the live music. It is incredibly hard to find good live Middle Eastern music and I absolutely love it and could listen to it for hours. I was so excited to hear that John Bilezikjian was performing. He is the most famous and talented Oud player in the United States if not the world. He is incredible!!!! He played with the famous Middle Eastern drummer Frank Lazzaro and the music was phenominal. Actually some of the bellydancers were kinda boring and I would have much rather just listened to the music.

There was also a raffle and since gambling is an anathema to me I never buy raffle tickets because they kinda fall in that realm. Well I finally bought a raffle ticket at another event recently and I won so I decided to do it here. Afterall it was for a good cause and I was only spending 5$. Well I won this time too!!! Rock! I won an entire case of beer from this local foo foo brewery and a baseball cap. I have no idea what I am going to do with a case of micro-brew. I was kinda hoping I would have won the massage and facial package....but I still won!!! Woo hoo!!! I will have to see who I can give this beer and hat to.....hmmmm....

It was a great fun time and I am happy to see that the bellydancers and bellydance/Med-East music community are getting together to help people in need. I love the community grass roots type action and since I love bellydance so much I am always happy to support it. I bet every minute of every day somewhere in the world someone is bellydancing..........

M