To be a Nomad...

My journal of travel first back to home in New Mexico and then across the seas in the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Peace Corp Update....Dissapointment

I did not get the Middle East. I repeat, I did not get the Middle East. I am really dissapointed. Perhaps I put too much into wanting to go to that part of the world. My recruiter sounded so sure that I would get into that program and I was focusing on it so much that I denied the fact that most volunteers do not get their first choice. So why you might wonder did I not get the Middle East? One word: asthma. Yep because of my asthma and allergies to pollen and dust I did not pass the medical clearance to be in a dry desert climate. It does not matter that I have taken Islam classes and Arab issues classes in college. It does not matter that I was a personal English tutor to a Saudi Princess. It does not matter that I was cultural liasion and mentor to all the foreign students at my University especially the ones from the Middle East. It does not matter that I am a member of the "Friends of Iran Society and Persian Cultural Center" here in San Diego. NO! Because I have a slight breathing problem I am barred from going to that part of the world!! So from now on I am going to lie on all official forms. One little check in one little box on one little medical form and I am barred from going to the place I really desire to go.

I spoke to my Placement officer this morning. She was apologetic and explained that she did not get her desired location either and that it is really common. I am still in the Peace Corps and she was very excited to have me and said my skills and experience working with children was really impressive. No problems there. She asked what were my other choices and I chose Central Aisa or Eastern Europe. Both of these regions were second choices for me and she is going to send me literature about programs and countries and work with me to place me where I can be the most successful and also where the Peace Corps will need me the most.

So basically I have no idea where the hell in the world I am going to be for the next two years. Could be anywhere, Mongolia, Uzbekistan, Romania, Etriea,......weeeeeeeeeeee.........

I am still very excited but dissapointed at the same time, actually it is a strange way to be with these conflicting emotions running in me all at the same time.

M