Peace Corps 44th Aniversary
Yesterday I attended the 44th Aniversary of the Peace Corps. The event was national and just happened to be held in San Diego at UTC La Jolla which is only 15 minutes south of my apartment. What great timing! The national convention being held within driving distance and free food to boot! My recruiter is working his way up in the organization and is so motivated it is crazy, actually it is a bit infectious.
The event started with introductions and we broke into groups and talked with returned volunteers and others who were interested in joining the Peace Corps. I learned so much from all the people I talked to and have heard so many amazing stories I cannot even begin to write them all. After that we mingled and ate and got ready to recieve the director. First though the President of the "Friends of Ghana" came and gave a blessing in Ghanaean and talked about his experiences with Peace Corps Volunteers in his village back in Ghana. I was very moved. The blessing itself was incredible and involved libations of water to the Gods of the sky and the Mother Earth. Too cool! Then the director of the Peace Corps arrived, Gaddi Vasquz, who is the first hispanic director and who has quite an impressive history. His speech was fabulous and quite inspiring. It was an honor to see and hear the director and quite an opportunity as well.
I have so many mixed feelings about leaving. For those of you who know the particulars of my family background it is not supprising that I come from a Peace Corps family. I had no idea that this was the case until I in fact joined the Peace Corps. There is a lot about my family that I keep finding out. My Aunt helped in the creation of the Peace Corps with Sergant Shriver under the Kennedy Administration. She was also region director of Africa and did much for the people there. I feel proud to be part of this legacy but also sad about leaving behind my friends and loved ones. Two years will come and go and I can have these experiences or not. I am not the type to sit on my behind and lazily watch life float by, though it can be tempting at times. What a weekend.
I am still waiting to see which country I get posted to. Waiting and waiting...................and........
.....waiting......
M

<< Home