To be a Nomad...

My journal of travel first back to home in New Mexico and then across the seas in the Peace Corps.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Hiking Big Tesuque and Mama Tree

Today I went on a long hike with my mom. She took me on the Big Tesuque trail which is one of her favorites. It is an absolutely beautiful trail that weaves through the Tesuque river valley. The river itself was flooded from all the snow and rain from the previous season and has washed out much of the normal trail. However, not to be stopped my mom and other hikers had carved out a new higher trail. We went over several crossovers which were basically tree logs that were pushed to form rude bridges over the roaring little river.

We hiked for a ways and then we got to Mama Tree. A huge butterscotch pinon in the middle of this little grove. Mama Tree was amazing. The biggest tree around she was very impressive. The interesting thing about Mama Tree is that she has become and is becoming a sacred site. There is something powerful about old big trees but Mama Tree is becoming a shrine. She has a ring of stones around her and people leave her gifts and offerings. There were also ashes sprinkled around her with bits of bone in it. The remains of a loyal canined hiking companion perhaps? I kissed Mama Tree and hugged her and I listened. She said " I am in the heavens and I am in the Earth and I know all that is inbetween." Beautiful Mama Tree.

It was a wonderous hike and nice to be with my mamacita. We are planning on more hikes too.

M