Peace Corps Update: Bad News and Limbo
Well I had a seriously bad phone call today. I was informed that a misteak was made and that due to my medical issues I will not be able to serve in Mongolia. I quit my job (would have done it anyway), sold most of my belongings, let go of my apartment on the beach and moved back to my home town to prepair to leave. It is only 2 weeks until departure. I am in limbo. I have been crying all day. I have no plan, no exit strategy, no back-up. I am homeless and jobless and living on various peoples couches. My family is being really cool but I don't want to be a burden on them either. I am really angry too because I am not one to let myself get into this kind of a position. But because someone in D.C. did not check their paperwork well enough I am fucked and really pissed off. What it comes down to is that the various Peace Corps offices were not communicating properly. If they were they would never have assigned me to Mongolia in the first place.
I talked to Peace Corps people today and I was told that I was still in the Peace Corps and that they really really want me. That I come highly recommended and have such good credentials that there is no doubt that they want me. No it is my medical issues that are standing in the way. Those being that I have minor asthma and am allergic to wheat and gluten.
There are 2 possible scenarios for me at this time. One is that I get placed in another country this summer. I am cleared on all other fronts and my placement officer is working really hard to find a country that can accomidate my diet and that has a slot for my qualifications. If she finds one I will be leaving sometime this summer and going to some country. I have a feeling it will be another Asian country or one of the Pacific Islands.
Second scenario is that if a placement cannot be made I will have to wait for another rotation, which would be another year. If that happens I am going backpacking around Europe and the UK. Then I will return home, couch surf get a shit job, save money and be in the Peace Corps next summer.
So right now I am waiting and I am sad. I feel really let down and am unsure of all that is presented in my life at this time. I will know more next week and will keep all of you posted here as to my status.
M

<< Home