To be a Nomad...

My journal of travel first back to home in New Mexico and then across the seas in the Peace Corps.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Logistics: Bangladeshi Post, Phones, and Internet

So I am back on line! I am going to try to get to the cafes on Friday which is my weekend. Here is some important information about how to get ahold of me while i am in Bangladesh. Take heed.

MAIL: Lettered mail takes about 2 weeks to reach me and Parcels can take up to 6 months. So here are the rules and the tips:
1. Send smaller packages only or padded manila envelopes. Large packages can take upto 6 months.

2. Wrap all items in newspaper and duct tape thouroughly. Items are stolen by Bangladeshi post officials 85 to 100 percent of the time.

3. Leave post office "peace offerings" unwraped and ontop of the package. ie. cigarettes, candy, pens ect.

4. Include a letter in the package with a list of all that you sent. DO NOT SENT CASH.

5. Declare all items as "gift" or " personal property" on the customs form and lie about the actual dollar worth. Less is better.

6. Do not send electronics they tax the hell out of them here.

7. DHL and Fed ex are faster and more reliable but they cost 4 times as much. The post office is cheaper.

8. Remember that I am a "volunteer" and am not paied. All packages are taxed at the Bangladeshi post office in Dhaka and those taxes are taken out of my Peace Corps living allowance. So if you can pay the extra taxes at home or send small packages. My living allowance is about $ 100.oo a month!!!

SEND ALL MAIL FOR THE DURATION OF MY STAY IN BANGLADESH TO THE MAIN OFFICE IN DHAKA.

Peace Corps Bangladesh
C/O(my first and last name here)
House 10F, Road 82
Gulshan 2, Dhaka 1212
Bangladesh

Letters: SEND LETTERS PLEASE!!! They are a wonderful way to say "we love you Miss Maya!!"

MY MOBILE PHONE:
If I know you then you have been e-mailed my mobile phone number. The Bangladeshi phone system is not the most reliable. Sometimes the mobile phones are routed to land lines. Hey it is the 3rd world after all. The best times to call me are early in the morning and late at night. 6-4 am or 10pm to midnight my time. Here is a list of the cheapest and most reliable calling cards that you can buy if you want to call me. You purchase them on-line.
www.calldhaka.com
www.calldhakacity.com
www.callasia.com
www.banglacraft.com

I cannot call the US from my phone but I can get a speciall calling card to do so....I am working on that right now. Your calls to me do not cost me anything.

TEXTING ME via Your E-mail:
You can text me from your e-mail. These messages must be super short. No attatchments and please take off any long signatures or philisophical garbage you may have at the bottom of your e-mails. These texts cost me money to send and to recieve but they are the fastest and easiest way to reach me. Plus I can send one anywhere I hve cell phone reception! To text me sent an e-mail to the following address:

(my first and last name lower case no spaces)@cellemail.com

If you don't know my first and last name then you dont need to.

Internet: Well this depends on where I am and what I am doing and if there is any power in the sector. So far I have been pretty successful in getting on-line.

Not much to report this week. Just more of the same stuff.... training, training, training and curry, curry, curry. Some of the questions that crack me up are:

What do you mean Americans do not eat rice at every meal?(nope)
Why do you have blacks in your county?(er.....)
I did not know you were Mexican. (Thats New Mexican!!!!)
Why does America only elect Jews for presidents? (hmmmm???)
Why are you not married? How can you possibly be happy without a husband? (I would write a list but this blog is already getting long...)

Oh yeah my host mother locked me in the bathroom two days ago until i finished doing my laundry. I almost had a panic attack but I did get my laundry done. I just have to laugh cause if I lose my sense of humor then I think I will go mad. The other thing that brings me joy is being in the classroom I can hardly wait to get started again. And the other volunteers as well as the Bangladeshi women here are dying to take bellydance soooooo I am starting up a bellydance class. Hope it works out well.

Peace Out. And Stay Tuned.........

M