To be a Nomad...

My journal of travel first back to home in New Mexico and then across the seas in the Peace Corps.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Dhaka!!!!!!

So this is another quickie... I just arrived in Dhaka and am at one of the hotels the Peace Corps checked us into. I have taken over the internet and am waiting for dinner. It feels nice to be in a place with air conditioning. When I first arrived to Dhaka I thought this hotel was crap. Now I think it is amazing and incredibly luxurious. Its amazing how your standards drop. Anyway, leaving Gazipur was a mixed bag. I am glad to get out of that filthy garbage infested *!@*# hole. Training was intense and I feel really drained right now. Hopefully we can find alcohol somewhere in this city. I have not had a drink in almost 3 months. My host family walked me to the bus and everyone broke down weeping as I got ready to go. My host father was crying in a "mannish" way and my host mother who I have been complaining about began wailing and weeping and gently caressing my chest. Beetee began to cry too and suddenly I was surrounded by all these weeping Bangladeshis in the courtyard of the Peace Corps training center. I had no idea what to do. But all of the emotion really got to me and I started crying too. Then most of the Bangladeshi staff at the center came out to see what was going on and did what Bangladeshis do best. Stare. The Americans were staring too and it was all very traumatic. I am not into public displays of affection let alone public displays of grief! And I have to say that I really did feel sad. Even though I have complained about my host family they never did me any real harm. And they showed me that they cared for me in their own way. Even if that way was strange and hard to deal with it was all they knew how to do. And I realized that I cared for them too in my own way. This society is really emotional. Damn it I am so tired of these emotional rollercoaster rides!!!! I am gonna go find food now.......

So I am back after several hours in Dhaka. Blehhhh what a nasty city. It is filthy dirty. There are people everywhere. Beggars every where. It is so strange too because we are in the diplomatic enclave which is the nicest part of the city and it is still really scummy. We did find food though. A nice Vietnamese restaurant that actually had forks. I have not eaten with a fork for 3 months. It was strange to be in such a nice restaurant but wonderful too. We walked around Dhaka after that constantly followed by rickshaws asking us if we wanted a ride. By the way if a rickshaw asks you if you want a ride beware it means they are gonna charge you us the ass for a fare. Anyway, I am back at the hotel now, which has free internet. Yay. Soon I will go to my room and take a hot bath. Oh yes my gentle readers life is finally looking up. Also my bathroom has a western toilet with toilet paper. Life could not get any sweeter......

I would also like to report to you that I passed my Bangla language test. I scored Intermediate Low which is passing. But since they speak a whole different dialect in the Shlyet district I will have to hire a tutor anyway. But hey I dont mind the American taxpayers are paying for that. Which reminds me... I would like to thank all the American taxpayers who are reading this blog. So far I have been having an awesome experience. I have traveled half way around the world. I have learned a new language. I am living and experiencing all sorts of new things all at your expense! You guys rock! I have not payed a dime!! Woo hoo! Don't get me wrong it has not been all peachy but what an amazing time.

So in a couple of days I will swear in. I will try to keep you updated with frequent blogs as it is free here in the hotel. However, the word is out and there will soon be a mass stampede to this computer by volunteers.

I am so tired it is not even funny..... So take care friends and family and I will write again soon.

M