My Favorite Things...
Alrighty.... this is to address peoples' questions about what to pack me in a box. I have gotten several e-mails and comments about what I would like or want. Remember to keep the packages small because big ones take longer in customs here in Dhaka. A few smaller ones especially in padded envelopes make it to me faster than one big one. Also remember to put in bribes for the post people (cigarettes, candy, ect.). Speaking of the Post Office it is better to send me stuff through them because customs charges to me are about 20 taka. Fed Ex and UPS customs charges are like 400taka. Uggh. So even though the post office is slower and more corrupt its better for Peace Corps volunteers.
So my favorite things.......
Snacks!
Cheetos
Fritos
Luna bars
Odwalla bars
pistacheo nuts
cream savers
velveeta (i know i know but you can't get cheese here and velveeta dosen't need refridgeration until opening)
MUSIC!
I love music and will listen to what ever you send. You can always burn CD's too.
Books! (generas anyway)
Science fiction and Fantasy
Classics/Literature (I can donate these books to the English department at my college after I leave)
Biographies
Fiction
*** really I will read just about anything at this point. Go to the discount tables of Borders & Barnes and Noble and just think of me and look at books that remind you of me. All the classical stuff and literature is usually pretty cheap to buy.***
Games!
I have no games in my house so a few packs of cards would be nice....
travel sized games are great to fit in small packages
Think of stuff that could be used as teaching tools too....
Office Supplies!
Office supplies here are of a "dubious" quality. I can always use spiral notebooks especially if they have a hard cover.
Red pens for grading papers
nice pens in general
pencils
stickers to put on kids homework
35 mm 400 speed film!!!!!! ALWAYS SEND THIS!!! Can never have too many pics of the desh!
Hobbies!
I found an embroidery shop at site and I will be doing some embroydery. However, the thread here is not so nice. So embroydery threat in lots and lots of colors would be nice.
Embroydery needles
Art supplies: colored pencils, markers, watercolor paints, watercolor brushes, nice paper, sketchbooks, pen and ink, glitter, confettii, puffy paint, anything!!!
Luxury Items!
These are things that are just there for asthetic. Things you don't need but make a home more beautiful. I have to make my home into my sanctuary here in this place. So yes I could make a small flower vase out of a tomato paste can but a real tiny little vase would be much more beautiful. Anything to make my home more comfortable... posters for my walls, picture frames (small for snapshots), just look around in Target and imagine if all of that did not exsist. What would you miss the most? What silly little thing?
Remember you take so much for granted in the West. Things like highlighter pens, pot holders, and shower curtains. Things to remind me of home are nice too. Like postcards which I can also use in my classes to show my students life outside of M'bazar. Or a windchime so I can hear the wind from time to time. Or perhaps some magazines which I can read, then cut up and make a collage or use in the classroom. I have become really good at finding all sorts of uses for things that were not intended for them. All that is around you in the West may or may not be found here. If it is than it is really expensive. People make do, they re-use and recycle EVERYTHING and so do I. I also think that it is the little things in life that create those beautiful little spaces we need.
Hope this helps... really anything from home is a nice supprise at the end of the day.
M

<< Home