To be a Nomad...

My journal of travel first back to home in New Mexico and then across the seas in the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Midsummer A Witches Sabbat

Today is the Summer Solstice the Midsummer Sabbat, Litha is the longest day of the year. The Holly King shall destroy the Oak King and reign until the winter solstice when the Oak King shall rise again and destroy his twin. Our mother is heavy in her abundant pregnancy and there is life and love and celebration. Hail Litha.


insert**** So my teacher Dominic brings up a the point in the comment section, that in Feri the gods of the year are lovers and are shared by the Goddess rather than being rivals. Now my witchcraft lore is by far not the greatest but I found that there was this struggle between the gods in many of the books and websites that I checked. I also wrote this little midsummer blerb in haste as my mom was screaming at me to get off the computer. So if anyone else has any comments about why this rivalry came into place or what its purpose would be I would welcome it. I notice that all too often those of us who choose to follow witchcraft, paganisim, and Wicca really are scrambling in the dark. We did not grow up in these mythologies and often take on beliefs without really questioning them or researching them. I am most definatly guilty of this.
Anyway I would love to hear others points of view or experiences with this time of the year.

Blessings all!

M