Questions I can't answer
Was that a crappy history lesson I gave you guys? I think it was. Geez. I really have way more to say about the people and the history of Bangladesh. But, mabey I will be better at that when I I come home after 2 years here. I am in the gritty process of learning new things all the time and don't have much of a chance to reflect. Though, I can reflect about home, living in California, why I used to hate fish and all sorts of things like that. But reflecting about being here?.... can't really do it yet cause "I'm still in the shit".... as soldiers say.
I do have a lot of questions though. Like why do all the sheep in my town have no ears? Really they don't. Sheep in other Bangladeshi towns have ears, I know because I always make a point of looking for the sheep. I keep wondering if there is some strange conspiracy going on here that involves sheep ears. Perhaps people cut them off and make sheep ear chips? Like how you can buy pig ears to feed to your dogs as tasty snacks. Or mabey its like cow tipping in the states....some sort of hillbilly rite of passage?... " Go Ahmed go!.. go you wanker and get the ears you big sissy boy!!!" I really do not know and every one I ask in my town about it gets all shifty and nervous and changes the subject. But what I want to know is WHY the Sheep have no EARS!!!???
I have other questions like why does everyone want to know what I eat for breakfast everyday? Yes everyone, from some dude on the street to the teachers at my school to my students to the guy I buy my tomatoes from. Is it really that interesting? I eat the same thing every morning. Oatmeal. I tell them every day that I eat oatmeal and they ask me what the heck is oatmeal. I tell them. They look confused. We begin this ritual anew the next day. Odd really.
Why also does everyone think I know Jennifer Lopez or think that I like John Denver? So lets just clear this up right now. 1: No I do not know Jennifer Lopez. But for your info she now goes by the name "JLo". and 2: I do not like John Denver. Thik Achhe?
Yes there are many questions that Miss Maya has and many answers that she cannot give. I do not know everything. No really I don't. I told my students that I did not know everything and they looked at me like I had torn down all of their dreams! So then I had to tell them that although I did not know everything I knew most things and then they were releved. But what I do know is that although there is a lot of stress for me here and I am dealing with a lot, its my girls that make it worth it. I have already seen changes in them in the short time I have been teaching. Like they no longer look down and cover their mouths when they speak and they are starting to speak up more and more. Its great. They want to do great things and they want to share their dreams. They have been opening up more and more to me about what their concerns are. Its hard to trust people when you are beaten down again and again. But it takes time and they want to do good. They are pretty neat girls actually.
Anyway, we have been working on English speaking competencies and I have tailored my class to address real writing situations. For example they are learning how to write a buisness memo, a fax sheet, a resume and a professional letter. Yes essays are fine and dandy but I want them to learn how to edit and write for a buisness world. It will give them an edge. They are so eager to learn and are very dedicated students. And I really love teaching them. Its what I can do now. I cant really save the world I am finding out..... to much to do... no time... yada yada... but what I can do is teach my girls. I feel good about that and its why I stay here.
Oh yes and here are two things that I have learned in my 6 months here....1: Everything is scary until you try it and then it is not so scary anymore. & 2: Its the little things that really matter.
Agami blog dekha hobe! (until the next blog see you later!)
M
p.s. I am still working on getting some furniture........


<< Home