In the "Desh"
So I have found internet access in Bangladesh aka the "Desh". It has been a long and harrowing flight and travel over 24 hours in fact and I am tired and jet lagged like hell. We started out from San Francisco to Tokyo which was a 10+ hour flight. After that we flew to Bangkok which was another 6 hours and stayed one night in Bangkok...heh and no we did not go crazy we were too tired. The Bangkok airport was insane. There was no rhyme or reason and security and protical were lax. It was very frustrating as the "officials" them selves did not seem to know what was going on. However, once through immigration things were fine. Thai airways was very impressive and makes our American flyers look cheap and dirty. They gave us fresh orchids on the flight as a gift and I bought a bottle of my favorite perfume that was half priced...can I say woo hoo duty free!!! I liked the Tokyo airport a lot and think I will have to visit Japan someday.
Upon arriving in Bangladesh we had to retrieve our luggage and were greeted by the Country Director and other Peace Corps staff. I had changed into a very conservative ourfit similar to SCA garb so I felt quite comfortable. Out side of the the airport walking to the busses we were mobbed by children begging for money and food. IT was a bit disconcerning but alright. However, a huge crowed had come to see us arive. People were everywhere, hanging from railings and staring from windows of near by buildings. Mostly they just stared but a few tapped on the bus windows. Driving to the hotel in Dhaka was interesing too. The poverty here is unbelievable. Shacks upon shacks and disfigured beggars and people living in the most horrid squaller. Of course the streets were clogged with rickshaws , cars, busses and big oxen. So interesting I am quite over whelmed. Our arrival at the hotel was an event too. They gave us leis of jasmine and roses and I have never had this kind of service in my life. We are staying at one of the most expensive hotels in Dhaka and it would be econo in the US. But there is bottled water a plenty and I start my malaria pills tomorrow.
There is much to do and I will try to get to the computer again while I am here to give you updates. I am in Dhaka this weekend then move to a host family in the town of Gazipur to the north for three months, then onto my site. I will keep you posted as I can. I may not be able to write to you all individually but I will try. I will however, keep updates here. I love you all and miss you all and I am safe and fine.
Kisses
Maya

<< Home