To be a Nomad...

My journal of travel first back to home in New Mexico and then across the seas in the Peace Corps.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Last American Transmission.....

So this is my farewell to my friends and loved ones. Friday I leave for staging and then Monday I fly to Tokyo and then off for a fun 19 hour flight to Bangladesh. Thank the Gods for sleeping pills!

I just have to say that being back home has been a wonderful mixed bag. I was very depressed to be back here at first as I left New Mexico when I was 18 and have not been back since. So lots of old stuff came up, mixed with anticipation and excitement in leaving the country. Doing something so foreign and unknown is really scary but I know it will be worth all the doubts in my head. 2 years of my life dedicated in service to help a nation of people that live in depravity that we cannot even imagine here in the US is a worthy cause. I am proud to be a teacher and I love the work.

I have also made some discoveries about being back in New Mexico. First of all I have enjoyed being around my support network of family and friends. I truly have a group of amazing friends here and that is something not easily found. Being back has made me realize how much I missed them and that kind of quality. I have also enjoyed being back around my brother, Che and I have gotten much closer and there is an amazing bond there that I will miss being around again. I also have missed playing in the SCA and the few events that I have been to have been amazing! Gotta get back to that when I return! And I have to say thank you to a certain Pirate who has stolen my heart. Wonder how they will sing the Bangladesh National Anthem over there? Certainly not as sweetly. Wowie!

So off I go into the soppy Bangladeshi monsoon! But remember to check back from time to time as I will be writing in this here blog! I love all of you guys so much! And I miss you all so much already. My amazing New Mexico friends, my family, my loved ones in California. Mucho Besos!!!

Miss Maya