To be a Nomad...

My journal of travel first back to home in New Mexico and then across the seas in the Peace Corps.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Whats next???

So I am not sure when I will get to a computer next but hopefully soon. I just wanted to post one last time since I have computer access here at the hotel. The days have been flying by fast and I am mostly exhausted. We got shots yesterday and I basically need all of them. We get them in a series and my arms are killing me. I will get more as the weeks pass at training. I also started my malaria drugs which supposidly can cause psychotic dreams and episodes. So far I am fine. Also my face has been breaking out like mad! Probably from the stress and humidity. I hope it calms down soon as it is awful. We have been doing lots of training too, language and culture. The language is intimidating but the entire hotel staff has made it their personal mission to help us learn Bangali. And they are so happy that we are here learning their culture as they are so proud of it. And yes I will have to learn how to go to the bathroom using my left hand! So there is no using of the left during meal time. We also (the girls) got our shalwar kameezes yesterday. Mine were a dark burnt orange one with silver embroidery in the pattern of spirals. Pretty cool. The other is a dark purple and blue with antiqued gold embroidery. They are both very beautiful and comfortable. You wear them with an orna, which is a scarf around the neck to cover the boobs. Your hair does not have to be covered.

The food here is awesome here as well, all spicy curries and sweet mangos and rice. Like eating at the India House everyday. I also got my new mobile phone number and e-mailed it to close family and friends. So talk amongst yourselves and share that number.

Today we have more culture and after noon we move to our host families. All I know is that my family is 4 people which is small. But I do get my own room and there is running water and electricity. So here I go. Out of the protection of this hotel with all the PEace Corps babying. I am nervous but excited too. I know I will make many misteaks but what a joy it is to be here. The Bangladeshis are so warm and welcoming. They gave us a show last night with folk singing and dancing and it was wonderful. I will definately be looking to learn traditional Bengali dance.

So I am not sure when the next time I will get to internet but I will when I can. Those of you close to me have my address and soon my mobile phone. I can be reached by those methods as well.

Kisses and Love
Maya