Love is in the air...
So after re-reading my last blog I have come to the realization that I am indeed a peacenik love loving hippy. I give all my punk rock friends permission to beat me up when I return home. Speaking of love today is Valentines day and I got more gifts today than I have from all of my boyfriends put together! Yep thats right folks I am adored.... its kind of scary actually and I can say with 100% certanty I DO NOT want to ever be famous. My students gave me two huge bouquets of flowers and a statue for my desk and cards! Yikes! It was really nice but I felt really embarrassed as one of my students jumped up and yelled "We all LOVE you so much madame!!!!" If this was America I could feel the lawsuits pending. But here it is different and to say that I have 30 or so young girls who love me is really really weird. I am not even sure what "love" means when they say it. I reserve that word for family and really special people in my life. But here it is used in the same way we use "like" I think.
So yes love abounds on this day.. .. something about a Saint and cards or something. But today we are supposed to spend time with our sweethearts... a day for love and lovers. And actually quite a taboo thing here in the Desh. Although I know that some of my students skipped my class to be with their boyfriends. ITs just like being back home. I have to admit that I am feeling a little bit like I could be out with my beloved. On a date, being courted, all that nice stuff that I used to pretend was cliche and boring. Though that stuff is on cryogenic freeze for me now. Really it is not even safe to date here or try to start a relationship with anyone. The female Peace Corps volunteers (you know who you are!!!) that date Bangladeshis are just asking for trouble. People here love to gossip and boys brag and soon you are that American "hussy" just like in the movies. And dating another volunteer while safer and easer to deal with (ya both know rules of love in America) is also trouble in my opinion. I mean we are in an extremely stressful situation here. We are learning new things all the time and expanding our experiences and growing, and I don't think this is a good place to start a relationship. Nope that is a world of pain folks. But I am in the minority and many of my comrades will not heed my words.
Oh and I found out yesterday that volunteers in Mongolia get issued ponies and bows and arrows. They also take hunting classes as part of their training. That RULES! I am so PISSED OFF! I am never going to be honest on an application again, especially where Uncle Sam is concerned! I could be riding on the Mongolian steppe right now bow and arrow in hand running down the small winter rabbit for my dinner!!!! Just like one of Ghengis Khans warriors...... But no. What do we get issued in Bangladesh? Mobile phones. Stupid dumb common mobile phones. Thought I was trying to get away from that..... sigh....
M


<< Home