Little nicks, little cuts
I keep cutting myself. I don't know why, usually I am not a clutz but my hands have almost a dozen little nicks and cuts. Peeling potatoes I also peeled my nuckle, caught my other hand on a door jam and the tips of my fingers are cut too from various things. There is a little cut on the palm of my hand too. Just random little places that bleed. They hurt a lot too. My hands are so sensitive. Its the little things that hurt the most I think. I just don't know why I keep cutting myself its odd.
I am healthy otherwise and doing well all things considered. Been having a good week too even though I had a nasty fight with a rickshaw walla. Even that can't bring me down. I just feel good. My classes are going well and I have started my internet class for my girls, which is why I am here now typing this blog. I had to start with the basics. Many of them had never even used a mouse before and they do not know how to type. But I showed them how to "surf" and also set them up yahoo e-mail accounts. Its basic and progress is slow but they are so hungry for learning. I really really love my students. Its odd but I feel so connected to them. I told you too that we are starting an English club and I have also started a conversational English class for the teachers at my college. Though the only teachers that show up are the new unmarried bachelor teachers. Hmmm..... The other teachers don't have time for their English learning but that is ok I guess. I have also started taking Bangla lessons again and am learning how to read Banglali. Let me say that it is really a pain in the ass. Nope not a linguist. But this is a good experience for me to be able to understand where my students are coming from when they learn English. Am I bi-lingual? No but I can communicate in Bangla and I know the language far more than Spanish which I had like 5 years of classes in. Duhhhhhh........... Really unless you have a gift for language you must live in a country to learn the language. And I gentle readers DO NOT have a gift for language.
So today is international language day for your information. That is big news here since Bangladesh fought Pakistan for its liberation and the Bangla language. There are programs tonight but since I must be in by sunset anyway.... guess I wont have fun. God I have never felt so guilty for being a woman before in my life. Almost as if being born were a crime. It is really going to my head but I would rather be inside and safe and bored out of my mind than tempt the fates (or the men) and have a nasty experience here. Bleh.......Of course if I am with someone or a group of people its ok for me to be out but I cannot be out alone at night. I feel like I am 17 again.
Also I know it is a few months away but I am REALLY excited for my holiday in Thailand.!! I seriously need some R&R and to not be scrutinized ALL the time. You do give up various freedoms to be in Peace Corps but I think the experience is worth it. I keep saying that ... who am I trying to convince, you all or me? Sheesh.
I still don't like to cook. I need to try though because I am getting bored with the 3 things I make everyday. I get a lot of lunch invites so that is nice. I ordered some wicker furniture yay me. And I bought two celing fans because it is getting hot again. Yep thats right winter (heh heh heh) is over here and I have started to sweat at night with out the fan. Che its gonna suck when you come but hey you get to go back home so no worries.
Just doing my thang..... life is... well... interesting.
M


<< Home