Peace Corps Rite of Passage & recipies
There are many so called Peace Corps "rites" of passage but one of the most common and distinguished is tropical diharrea. Yep after Dhaka or rather on the bus from Dhaka back to site I got sick. Its not fun sitting on a bus for 4 hours feeling like you are going to explode. Once at site things went from bad to worse. I spent two days in bed with a fever and making frequent trips to the water closet as it were. That was the sickest I have been since I had the flu in Las Cruces years ago. Ugh. I still feel weak and my tummy is definately not OK but I beat the fever and taught my class today and then came here. I know this may seem a strange thing to share with the world but I am not embarrassed. Bangladesh is affected with diharreal diseases more than any where else and lots of people die. Everyone here knows about it and talks about it without shame. "Ohhhh you had the diharrea madam...did you make sure to drink saline?" thats what they asked me at the bank this morning as I dragged myself in. Yes I have been drinking oral rehydration salts (which taste like crap) and water, and coconut water and eating plain mushy rice and bannanas. Bleh. Lost more weight too and I am sorry to say it was mostly in the boobs. Why couldnt it be in the tummy!!!??? Anyhow my friend here nursed me. He brought me the saline and the coconuts and food and a chicken. Also all the servants of my neighbor came to visit me as did many of my students. They came and brought me gifts and told me to get better and clucked at me like mommies. It was all really surreal and strange but I guess they really do care for me. Madame they said you missed International Women's Day. And I said I know but I thought I was going to die in my bathroom. I did in fact call the Peace Corps medical unit and basically you just have to stay hydrated which I did.
Anyway, I miss food. I am going to the market to get stuff when I am finished here. I mean I really used to be a pig in the US but not here. I was really craving bangers and mash and a black and tan the other night and then yesterday I wanted sushi REALLY BAD. Ugh. The thought of putting curry in my tender sensitive torn up tummy gives me shivers.
But in the spirit of yummy food..... yeah I know this blog is diabolical.... but in the spirit of that yummy food... here are a few of my favorite recipies from Bangladesh:
FISH CURRY WITH COCONUT:
Ingredients:
200g fish steaks (hilsha, koi, cod rui what ever....)
1 tsp garlic minced
1 tsp ginger sliced
1 large red onion
1 cinnimon stick (1'' stick)
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
salt (to taste)
3 Tbs oil
1-2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp whole black pepper
fresh corriander leaves to taste
3-4 small green chilies
1 cup fresh cilantro
1 large tomatoe chopped
1 tsp tamarand
1 can coconut or 1/2 real coconut shredded
1. Fry cinnimon, mustard, cumin, pepper, bay leaves and chiles in oil
2. Add garlic and ginger
3. Add onions and fry until brown
4. Add 1/2 leaves of correander. Add tomatoe and cook for 5 to 10 minutes
5. Add fish and remaining cumin, chili powder, salt, tamarind, tumeric, and coconut. If the curry looks dry add 1/4 cup of water. Simmer 5-10 minutes.
6. Add remaining corriander. Simmer 5 minutes.
CHICKEN ROAST:
Ingredients:
8lbs chicken skinless with the bones
1/2 cup diced onions
1 1/2 cups ghee or oil
1 tbsp salt
1 1/2 cups natural yogurt or sour cream
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp ground garlic
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp ground poppy seeds
1/4 tsp ground mace
1/2 tsp ground cinnimon
1/2 cup keora water
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat ghee. Fry chicken lightly in ghee for about 10 min. Remove pan from heat. Allow to cool for 15 min.
2. Combine black pepper, poppy seeds, mace, cinnamon and cardamom to make a paste. (add 2 tbsp water if necessary)
3. Mix onion, salt, yogurt, ginger, and garlic. Add to chicken. Mix. Add 1-2 cups of water (not necessary if using small chickens) Cover and cook over low heat for about 1 hour; stirring occasionally.
4. Turn the chicken pieces and baste them with black pepper and mixture gravy and sprinkle with keora water.
5. Dissolve sugar in a little water, and add lemon juice. When the chicken is tender and cooked sprinkle suger mixture over chicken.
TOMATO IN LENTILS:
Ingredients:
1 cup lentils (small orange ones are best)
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 green chilies
2 tsp crushed garlic
1 Tbsp sliced onions
1 Tbsp oil
3 medium tomatoes quartered
salt to taste
1. In a pot over medium heat, combine lentils, tumeric, chili powder, salt and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft.
2. Add cilantro and green chilies and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
3 In a sauce pan over medium heat, heat oil and saute onions and garlic until brown. Add to lentils and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Let me know if anyone tries these or if you want more recipeis.... I have loads though I have eaten many fascinating things here in the desh I dont cook too much. The lentil dish is one of my favorites though.
Peace Out.....
M


<< Home